Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablet is a combination drug primarily indicated in the treatment of allergies and their symptoms like runny nose, watery eyes, etc. An allergy usually occurs when a foreign body invades our system and starts attacking it. In response, our body produces chemicals that fight off the foreign agent and reduce the chances of getting an infection. This response is what we call an allergy.
Sometimes the allergic reaction gets too severe and starts hampering the daily routine. This is when we take an anti-allergy medicine like Montelukas + Levocetirizine. Levocetirizine is an antihistamine agent that suppresses the effect of a chemical messenger called histamine, involved in causing allergic symptoms. Consequently, it targets allergic symptoms like sneezing, running nose, watery eyes, itching, swelling, congestion, or stiffness. Montelukast is a leukotriene antagonist that inhibits the working of the chemical messenger, leukotriene which is responsible for inflammation and swelling in the nose and lungs. This sums up the synergetic effect of Montelukast + Levocetrizin in relieving allergic symptoms.
Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets are taken with or without food, in a dose and duration prescribed by the doctor. The tablets should be swallowed whole and shall not be beaten, broken, or chewed. The dosage prescribed depends on the condition and how you respond to the medication. The combination drug is capable of inducing a variety of side effects that may resolve over time and do not require you to seek medical attention. However, if the side effects remain immediately rush to your doctor and get a consultation. Before taking the tablets, inform your doctor if you are allergic to Montelukas + Levocetrizin or similar medications. Also, discuss your medical history and current health concerns if any. People suffering from severe liver or kidney problems, or have epilepsy. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid Montelukas + Levocetirizine tablets and use them only after their doctor’s consultation.
Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets are a potent drug combination, capable of eliciting a range of side effects. Usually, the side effects resolve over time but if they persist, seek a doctor’s consultation immediately. The possible side effects of Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets are:
1. Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid taking Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets without a doctor’s consultation. As the Montelukas + Levocetirizine tablets may seep into the breast milk or affect the infant.
2. Avoid doing activities that require mental alertness like driving or working on machinery, as Montelukast + Levocetrizin causes drowsiness.
3. Avoid taking Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets with alcohol or other depressants due to reduced mental alertness.
4. Do not deviate from the prescribed dosage as sudden stoppage of Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets can lead to unpleasant effects. Also, do not self-medicate with a combination of drugs.
5. People having kidney problems should consult their doctor before taking Montelukast + Levocetrizin as dose adjustment might be needed.
6. Stop taking Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets at least three days before taking an allergy test as it can affect the test results.
7. Avoid exposure to pollens, dust, or other allergens as it can worsen the allergy. Stay indoors as much as possible and only move out when necessary.
No, Montelukast + Levocetirizine tablets are not habit-forming and do not cause withdrawal symptoms on stopping the dosage.
Depending upon the severity of allergic conditions due to allergens, LEVOCETIRIZINE+MONTELUKAST can be safely taken daily until you get complete relief and as long as your doctor has advised you to take it.
No, LEVOCETIRIZINE+MONTELUKAST does not have any effect on fertility. However, please inform your doctor if you are trying to get pregnant and take the LEVOCETIRIZINE+MONTELUKAST.